Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
KHS&S worked with Walt Disney Imagineering and Whiting Turner on the preconstruction of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland and Disney World. The parks were built simultaneously, with a few months of an intentional lag for Disney World, where KHS&S West Coast constructed the attraction in Anaheim and KHS&S East Coast constructed the attraction in Orlando. The scope of this project was larger than any theme park attraction ever before tackled by KHS&S for the 14-acre Star Wars Land. Galaxy’s Edge was built using Integrated Project Delivery method. It required a culture of trust where individuals and companies work as a team for a common goal. Some highlights of the project included:
- The project had seven distinct construction areas that required continuous preconstruction management and estimating for both attractions.
- Facilitated Lean Construction for the entire project including pull planning, weekly work plans, PPCs, and multiple QAQC initiatives.
- Prefabricating and flying into place 35 domes of various sizes, and as large as 50’ in diameter.
- Utilizing KHS&S’ light-gauge roll forming machines to produce highly informed track and studs that improves schedule, reduces waste, reduces manpower and creates simpler on-site framing.
- Leveraged PanelMax machines for the complex geometries of curves, tapers and angles.